One of my favorite ways to brighten an otherwise gloomy and rainy day is to fill the apartment with the smell of something yummy baking. I tried out a new recipe today and made a few alterations in order to create Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins. They smelled so delicious while baking…even the bf tore himself away from the race to see what I was up to 😉 The good news is they taste just as good as they smell!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (1/2 white and 1/2 brown)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 apples (1 chopped and 1 shredded)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda,salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract. Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs (I actually just use my hands to make the crumbles, it goes faster than with a knife). Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake about 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 3-5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
*Note: All of the ingredients I use are lactose free and I have found that the baking time varies between lactose free and regular ingredients, so please adjust accordingly. Also, the batter will be soft and resemble a cookie dough batter but dont worry- it should be like that and the muffins will turn out just fine.